1964 comet rusted subframe

90

Asked by Feb 17, 2017 at 09:49 AM

I received this comet from my great
grandfather and after going over the car
the body has minimal rust and the interior
isn't bad either the only bad thing is that
the subframe is severely rusted. I was
wondering if it were possible to repair it or
can I purchase a new one. Any advice and
information will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you -JJ

101,935

I don't think you can get them anymore, but I haven't look in many years, I did have one customer that was a Comet and Meteor fan and he got one a lot like yours, now he was a machinist before he retired and he made up an entire frame for the vehicle and fixed that way, nowadays if you had to have that done the labor costs would be sky high but if you can't find the parts you need it is a consideration.

90

Thank you I appreciate the answer a friend of my father is a mechanic and he was thinking that I could cut away the bad and reenforce it with plate steel or c channel but my fear there is that by doing that it would lose the ability to flex and potentially break or bend.

101,935

There is very little flex in a subframe, if there is enough of it there to go with reinforcements then by all means do it that way, your concern about flex or breaking is unwarranted, your concern should be about making it structurally sound and straight, you don't want to go through all that work to wind up with a car that dog walks down the road and chews off tires.

90

Thank you I appreciate all these answers they are vet helpful. I'm only 22 years old I've put together a 62 falcon 3 years ago but it wasn't in this bad of shape and my grandfather was there to help me but he pasted away last year. This comet was his and I want nothing more than to put it on the road again

79,415

I would look for a frame on Craig's list or other sources. Welding up a frame should only be done by a fabricator that is really good so check references.

90

Yes sir I agree. My cousin is welder and he does a lot welding on his race car and for other people too. I just spoke with him and he believes the he can reenforce the whole frame rather than patch 2 spots he's coming over tonight to take a look and be sure.

101,935

Now that sounds like your headed in the right directions, he's a welder so he knows the stress points and just what it will take to reinforce it where it is needed and how to repair some of the small rusted though spots. And then a good coating of rust kill and inhibitors and you should have a very nice viable vehicle.

90

I'll post some pics on here so y'all can see what I'm working with haha but I'm hoping it all works out

79,415

I am not impugning your cousin in anyway but if it was my car I would have him fix it and then shop around for another frame just to have in case you need it.

90

I thought of that but there just isn't any around here I've looked the closest one I've found is 1,200 miles away

70,875

You might be able to find a good used one from a junkyard in a dry climate. Such as Arizona, for example. If the shipping cost is too high you may consider picking it up. Maybe incorporate the pick up into a vacation or a fun road trip. HTH. -Jim

90

That would be awesome but I live in southern Alabama

79,415

Owning and restoring an old car in a rust state is a challenge.

90

That's very true. And I accepted the challenge when I rolled it off the trailer. I'd love to get it done soon as possible but I want to be sure it's done right