1978 dodge lil red express wont start - no spark from coil

Asked by Jul 19, 2016 at 04:15 PM

Fairly simple system as long as the wiring is in good shape, most common failure is the spark control module followed closely by the magnetic pickup in the distributor. Use a test light and connect it in place of the coil and crank the engine, you looking for a flashing light while cranking, if you have a flashing light replace the coil, if no light make sure the ballast resistors are operating and the coil power is there, if those check good then replace the ignition module and pickup units so they are paired and you start fresh, recheck for a flashing light, after than it should have coil triggering. HTH

Kelly Mayo

hi ..check all grounds.... ECU controller !! ...is the porcolean ballast resistor ok power in power out?check bulkhead wire connectors on firewall..Air gap on the pickup too large? Should be set to .008".......> http://www.allpar.com/fix/electronic-ignition.html

Kelly Mayo

hi ts.... are we related???