1994 dodge 5.9 just shut off and wont start back up there is no spark or fire from coil or plugs. changed coil. still no spark.. poured gas in carb. still no start.

150

Asked by Apr 12, 2012 at 09:26 PM about the 1994 Dodge Ram 1500

1994 dodge 5.9 just shut off  as i was driving it and wont start back up there is no spark or fire from coil or plugs.
changed coil. still no spark.. poured gas in carb. still no start.

13,195

I would hook up to a scanner and see what code/s you get might save you some time and money.

6,955

Would probably say a Crankshaft position sensor if no spark, or cam sensor. Could even be the PCM.

4,005

Also check for a open coil wire from distributor to coil. Good Luck!

275

hall effect (magnetic pickup) in the distributor?

4,005

Distributor cam sensor only controls fuel injection in these engines. Ignition is triggered by the crank sensor located on the passenger side of the transmission bellhousing. I would bet that's the source of the problem here. You can check for PCM problems by using a voltmeter on the crank sensor connector. With the ingnition key on, engine not running, connect + voltmeter probe to the orange wire terminal and the - probe to the black/light blue wire terminal. You should see 8 volts. W/O that, you either have a bad PCM or a break in the wiring. Good Luck!

Best Answer Mark helpful
150

I replace the crank sensor , distributor sensor thingy, then the brain box or engine computer still nothing so out of desperation I plugged in a extra relay I puled from junk yard to an empty relay plug thinking it could have maybe fell off and oops wires started smoking and then I lost all power to fuse box and ignition. after I got over being pissed at myself for doing that. The next morning I started searching the wiring and discovered someone had this problem before and rigged it.. as I found a inline fuse that had no power and a break in another wire. So I ran power back to the wire and repaired the broken wire and she fired right up and is running darn good again.

4,005

Glad you found it! That's a new one on us for sure. Thanks for the "Best Answer" BTW.

320

to awayne03-where did you find the inline fuse-4x4greendodge ram

20

Quick question, even though it has a distributer the crank sensor controls spark? I thought that was only on cars with coil packs

20

Not trying to sound stupid lol

130

having similar problems with my 96 5.9l.. where'd you find that broken wire, and where'd you start??

200

I have 96 dodge with 5.9 motor and replaced crank senor coil and still no spark where is the inline fuse at??? New plugs and wires were put on couple weeks ago was running great till I stopped at Walgreen's and went to leave and not firing it turns over but that's it? Can anyone help??

320

i have save problem with my 98 ram sport i replaced everthing you did and the ecu and fuel pump still n-g at the point i have the same problem with two differant ecu-weird- where i ready to say im done is there and inline fuse and where is it? take care and good luck with your

90

I have a 98 dodge ram 1500 with 5.9l I am not getting fire from coil ive replaced the rotor dis cap,plugs,and plug wires can any one tell me why I cant get fire to coil or what might cause this

60

awayne03 how was it rigged please let us know where did the wire run

80

I have a 94 Dodge Ram 1500 that turns over but will not start, I replaced the crankshaft sensor, still jus turns over like it wants to start but won't start any clues?

50

Ok so far we have ecu, no Pickup coil, no Coil,no Cap and rotor , no So WTF?

50

Anybody ever fix the no spark problem i changed everything too

320

Still can not get truck running last thing i am going to try is the bcm there ius no damage to the wiring-no grounds are missing or not hooked up if this does not work the truck is going to scrape i wound laugh if it is something simple good luck with yours and if you get it started let me know

320

try the bcm since everthing else has been changed.all wiring and grounds are good i have to get a bcm .i still have not got truck running

320

im going to replace the bcm since everthing else has been changed i at the point to scrape the ram all the wiring is good all grounds are ok the bcm is the last straw

It's probably the computer

10

Fixed my 94 B3500. Van would crank but no run. No spark to distributor, replaced coil, checked PCM & ECU & TCU & BCM & TCM & ASD all of which controls ignition spark. Finally checked all the fuses (box & in- line) and connections since a 94 van has many splices all to no avail. And then I spotted a dangling wire with a cap on the end way back behind & under the alternator on the front of the engine. Very hard to see and get to. Plugged it in and it started. Bingo. A 4 day adventure had ended.

50

It's the pickup coil black disk inside the distributor with a wire coming off it

30

Same kinda problem. Truck will fire up and run great.. shut truck off and no spark again.. did replace crank slender.. still same problemprobble

10

look here buddy I aint answering this twice. there is a wire behind the dash if it ain't connected that's your problem. your welcome.

I don't have an answer but a question I own a 2002 durango rt 5.9 I have spark everywhere but cylinder number four what could cause this that I'm not thinking of

10

i have changed cap and rotor crankshaft sensor _coil & camshaft still no fire please help 2001 dodge ram 1500 5.9 desperate. 2173434511 breanne

I have a 94 dodge just replaced the tranny and now won't start no fire anywhere and was running when I parked it

320

good luck have same problem seems like the 2nd generation ram has this problem been trying to find problem for over 3 yearts i give up going to a ford pickup and junking the ram good luck