Does the padding under the hood of my 1986 Ford Ranger need to be there.

Asked by Aug 16, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I have trouble with my 1986 Ford Ranger when I'm driving and it's hot -- I live in Tucson AZ.
Some people say it's a vapor lock.  Does the 'insulation' under the hood need to be there?  It seems to me that it would make the engine hotter.

7,285

Technically the insulation is a noise reducer, though yes it could help to hold heat under the hood it would be minimal at best. Is this still a carbureted model ? It might need a new carb or just a carb gasket (carb to manifold), but I would change the fuel filter, check for easy flow of liquid thru the fuel line (its an '86 so the fuel line could be clogged and heat is just a coincidence), check to see if the fuel tank is venting properly to the outside air thru the carbon filter and finally I would check the fuel pump pressure.