2010 Nissan Maxima SV inconsistent performance

5

Asked by Aug 04, 2013 at 05:05 AM

My 2010 Nissan Maxima SV seems to have inconsistent performance. By this I mean that some days, the gas pedal will feel stiff to the push. When this happens I get great response and acceleration. Other days it will feels soft and can be pushed more easily. When this happens I get poor response and acceleration. I keep thinking that it's just sensitivity to ethanol and I have only put Premium in it since day 1. I have roughly 30K miles on it. What could be causing this? By the way, outdoor temperature and running time don't seem to be factors.

Thanks,
Mark

65,935

Hi Mark, your Nissan most likely has an accelerator position sensor instead of a throttle cable. This sensor sends a signal to the computer telling it how much you're depressing the gas pedal. The computer then revvs the engine accordingly. My guess is the sensor is wearing and needs replacement. HTH. -Jim