1997 dodge truck horn started blowing in the middle of the night for no reason. I disconnected it. What's the deal?

Asked by Aug 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM about the Dodge Ram

the horn button sometimes won't work.  And when it does, sometimes I have to hit the steering wheel to get the horn to quit.  At 4am, for no reason, the horn started going off waking the neighborhood.  I disconnected the horn to get it to quit.  What's the deal here?.

horn relay $22.95~

what is happening here is exactly Science....the expansion and contraction of materials...one being the weakened contactor on this relay....they are cheap and easy to replace.....this phenomenon of contraction and expansion happens to Everything on your car....sometimes creating water leaks....to top it off they are still using cheap butyl black rubber which will degrade inside of five years (vacuum lines...seals) replace these with silicone vacuum lines if you want to expect ten more years of your car~

115,995

I think the real problem is in your horn button assembly, could be a broken plastic retainer or the ring, you will have to disassemble it to find what is broken. Or just locate the wire for your horn button at the column connector, cut it and wire in a dash mounted button.

middle of the night tennisshoes? Here in California goes up to 95 then down to 55 at night...really "AGES" everything outside...my new Schwinn will look like hell unless I bring it inside....the elements will play hell with the machines~

97 seems too new to start makin' with the gremlins, but sixteen years is long enough for rubber to degrade...would look at all the rubber stuff, because as a high production model would not use neoprene (like your replacement will be made of)....but with this age everything rubber should be replaced (or will crack and become loose on ya~

Engine mounts and transmission mounts can be examined easily by using a floorjack and woodblock and taking it up 1/2" noting the cracks that will appear...~

power steering and brake hoses are the scary ones...needless to say if your budget will allow do not take chances with your life for a few hundred dollars ___summitracing.com will cover ya...rockauto.com will have it if not the performance type...you're welcome~

thank you for your encouragement...just tryin' to keep the idea of "happy motoring" alive~

820

The ones I have repaired are horn pads that went bad

For me the horn also started blowing after I used it then it would not shut off. I started taking the wire off and I noticed that all of the wires were melted together and that why it kept blowing the little 20 amp fuse so I pulled them apart tape it up left it disconnected but ac working now so not always the relay.