Loosing brake fluid

Asked by Jul 23, 2015 at 01:56 PM about the Chevrolet Chevy Van

I have 1988 Chevrolet Conversion van. At the master cylinder the rear brake reservoir is loosing fluid. I have pulled the rear brake drums and checked the brake lines. No sign of any leakage. I pulled the vacuum hose from the power unit and it is dry. Any thought as to what my problem might be?

82,835

You have a leak, its somewhere, the fluid either goes to the brakes or leaks on the floor, no where else...

16,790

If no leaks found after removing rear drums there is a leak in the brake line going to rear brakes. This is what you can do to check for leak fill master cylinder with brake fluid have someone apply brakes and look underneath vehicle and see if you see any brake fluid squirting out from anywhere.

Thanks firebird338. I have done that with my mechanic under the van. Nothing

Thanks joemom. No leakage on my driveway. None at all! The van sat in my mechanic's garage over the weekend. Nothing on the floor. He is at a total lose too.

16,790

Check the master cylinder look for leakage running down the brake booster. Do you have brakes when you apply the brakes or do it go to the floor ?

16,790

Remove master cylinder could be leaking into brake booster.

My mechanic did that. No leakage there

Cannot detect any leakage around master cylinder. Braking is good. Good strong pedal

16,790

How long does it take for the brake fluid to get low after you have filled up the master cylinder ?

16,790

Did you check the front brakes and hoses also ?

16,790

I ment the brake calipers

16,790

If I remember correctly the front reservoir of the master cylinder goes to the back brakes and the rear one goes to the front brakes.

Last time I drove it was from my mechanics to home. About 5 miles. It needed to be refilled

No because the master cylinder has two reservoirs. The rear one is the only one leaking.

It is the small front reservoir

16,790

Did you check your front brakes ?

82,835

http://www.howacarworks.com/brakes/looking- for-leaks-in-the-brake-system Here is some more information