why won't my gear come out of park when I mash brake pedal

Asked by Apr 30, 2012 at 09:22 PM about the 1993 Chevrolet Chevy Van

I have a 1993 chevy gladiator van and it doesn't want to come out of park when I hit brake pedal unless I turn off engine and put in neutral.

15

maybe the idle is to high or could have a bad motor mount or something that is putting stress on the linkage when it is runniing

50

Theres a switch connected to the brake pedal look under the dash follow the brake pedal up. Either the mount is misaligned the nut holding it has gotten loose or the switch is bad. First try making sure when you depress the pedal that the pin in the switch is coming out. It opposite of a normal switch in that when you press pedal you let go of the switch to activate rather than depress