Big car problem

Asked by Nov 27, 2010 at 07:16 PM about the Mercedes-Benz 190-Class

Oil is in the radiator water.  It has run "hot"  once or twice...the last time while idling. I can't afford a new car.  Would this one be worth fixing?  It has 174,000 miles on it.   Thanks.  Susan

45

I would say that the problem is in the engine heads or head gaskets, which is a major repair, but if you took to a good shop they could quote you an estimate on the repairs so as to be able to make a good decision for fixing or to trade in for another car. This problem is very common in cars.

Your are talking about a $2,500 repair. I am not sure if you car worth that match.

15

Head Gasket is gone. You will need new gasket kit and the head skimmed a good back street garage will do it for around £200. well worth the money these cars are the last of the over engineered Mercedes I have had mine for 4 years and only ever had to replace the exhaust

1,605

Before you spend money on repairing a head gasket, there is a liquid additive you can buy for about $200 that may fix the problem. Search Youtube under the term HEAD GASKET and you'll find it.