Volvo s40 repair URGENT: I recently bought a used 2007 Volvo s40. Okay, well my mom bought it for my 17th birthday for me. A little over a month later I was driving one day when the car began to refus

30

Asked by Mar 30, 2015 at 11:53 PM about the Volvo 240

30

I'm not sure how this works so just in case you can't see the full question: I recently bought a used 2007 Volvo s40. Okay, well my mom bought it for my 17th birthday for me. A little over a month later I was driving one day when the car began to refuse to accelerate. We couldn't get it over 10-20 mph. Shortly after the car began to vibrate strongly, or jump. We opened the hood and saw that the engine would shake very strongly too. Screwed off the oil cap and it was smoking, but just had an oil change. There was also some fluid on top of the engine. Eventually trying to make it home the car died. My mom took it to the dealership but won't say much other than it "needs a whole new engine", however I don't think the problem is THAT severe. She would rather forget about it than have it fixed. That's our money down the drain! Plus, I'm already super emotionally attached to the car. Any ideas what it may be wrong and what needs fixing? Please.

70,255

Did the check engine light come on while this was happening? If so what trouble codes do you have? Was the fluid on the engine antifreeze? Was it the same color as antifreeze? Is the antifreeze low in the radiator? If so, it sounds like possibly the intake manifold gasket failed. I'm not real familiar with these cars so I'm not sure if coolant runs through the intake manifold. But if antifreeze is on top of the engine and you don't see any leaking or blown hoses that'd be my best guess. Also, pull the oil dipstick. Is there white milky "goop" on the dipstick? If so it's going to be the intake gasket or the head gasket. Did the engine overheat at all? How many miles are on your Volvo? HTH. - Jim

30

Not sure about the codes. Going to try to get them, it's just my mom would rather get rid of the car and the $2500 we've invested so far (1/2 paid off) instead of fix it. But I'm not giving up my car without a fight. I know the check engine light has been on since we got it I believe. The liquid was either clear or a clear pink color. I'll have to check the radiator too. If I can convince my mom to take me up there. As for miles I forgot, but it was used, I'm not sure of the exact I believe about 130,000 something.

30

According to my mom they sent it to the German Auto specialists, who said the engine is "shot". That would cost $1500 to fix, apparently. What does that mean?

70,255

Ok, from what I've read your antifreeze should be blue in color. But check the radiator to be sure that somebody didn't put some other color antifreeze in it. If it's pink like the fluid on top of the engine then I'd suspect the intake manifold gasket or a leaking hose. When someone gives me a high dollar "disaster report" on a car I always get a second opinion! I'd suggest doing that. I can appreciate your wanting to keep your Volvo since not only is it your first vehicle but a gift as well. That makes it doubly special! I bought my first car in 1984 when I was 18 years old. It was a '78 Cadillac Eldorado. It was also the worst car I have ever owned! Two years and $2000 (in repair bills in 1980s dollars) later I was forced to get rid of it when I was told it needed another $1600 in front end repairs!! That was $1600 1986 dollars!! It was a very hard thing for me to do but I traded in the Cadillac on my '86 Chevy C-10 Pick Up truck. The truck was always special to me because it was my first brand new vehicle. My point being don't bury yourself in a money pit. If it's giving you trouble, especially expensive trouble, it's time to move on. You will have other special vehicles. Right now my '00 Grand Prix is special to me for personal reasons. So even at my age, special vehicles still come along. HTH. -Jim

70,255

Unfortunately "shot" could mean just about anything. How was this determined? HTH -Jim