Why does my car shut down at 105

5

Asked by Aug 25, 2009 at 01:05 PM about the Pontiac Grand Am

My car only does 105 and then shuts down... And my check engine light comes on and its an emiisions leak and i have tracked down all the lines and havent found anything

5

because it has a speed limiter so you don't go super fast and lose control

5

Its called a Govnor, I hatent found mine yet and my spedometer goes up yo 110, and ive gone over that

5

that and you probably just need to get the code cleared so the check engine light goes off

5

your not gonna find it if its a 99-05 ga because its in you cars computer called the pcm. so you would have to get a custom pcm and while your doing that you can get any check engine light deleted.

15

my speedo goes to 150 and my GA governs out at 127 you can get 130 goin down hill

5

u'll also find that u can't rev ur engine over about 3400 rpm it will suddenly drop off, it's all governed 1st to stop excessive speeding 2nd to stop idiots from blowing up the car b4 the warrarty expires

35

my speedometer goes to 160, so far ive gone 120, havent found a place 2 be able 2 go faster...

5

get a computer to reset the light and theres 2 ways to pop the governor 1. buy a performance chip 2. once you hit 104 let off the gas then stomp on it (it might take a couple tries to figure it out) once you get it to pop keep an eye on your tack (rpm gauge) so you dont go over red line and blow your motor or tranny....not a cheap fix

15

it should only shut down thT early at 105 if its a 4 cyl, i would recomend checkin out a pc and a (wot) wide open throtle uses half the peddal !