why does the computer keep going out

Asked by Apr 06, 2013 at 10:49 PM about the Pontiac Bonneville

I have had the computer changed 3 times in 6 months and its going out again

bad ground. Either the battery has a corroded connecton, or the connection to the frame/chassis isn't very effective. Clean this connection at the other end of the black battery cable and clean the nut, and surfaces that it connects to should be able to pull 300 amps CCA~ The ground to the engine block is an important one too, but to the chassis should offer steady confident power...check the life of your battery, if it's over five then should be replaced as will have trouble keeping it's charge and accepting a recharge 10% per year~

89,815

What do you mean by "going out"? Do they just stop working or throw a code?

56,675

What year is your Bonneville? If it's a pre-1996 model it's OBD I and you must transfer the PROM (programmable read only memory) from the old ECM (computer) to the new one. If it's a 1996 or newer model it's OBD II and the new PCM (computer) must be "flashed" (programmed) using your vehicle identification number. These procedures must be done so the new computer will work correctly in your specific car. I also would not advise getting a replacement computer from a salvage yard. God only knows what you're getting plus if the above procedures are not performed, either PROM transf or flashing, your car won't run right, if at all. HTH. -Jim

2,980

I too wonder what going out means?

185

Check ground connection.Must check if you have double gorund >one of them should be to the chasiss.And the comp. should be ground to the chasiss too.Good luck!!

185

Don't forget the amount of charge that's on the output of tha alternator.Must bu under specs.

nicely non-responsive are~

7,895

The first thing that springs to my mind is that the voltage regulator may be going south on you. That can throw the computer into default mode, and not necessarily give any codes, which makes it look like the computer has gone south on you. I would rig up a proper voltage read out to verify. The easiest way to do that is to get one of the small inverters that plugs into the cigarette lighter and has the voltage read out on it. Keep an eye on it as you drive. While running, the reading should never be below 13 volts and never much above 14. Also, watch for spikes in the voltage. The more sudden the change the more likelihood of damage to the electronics.

I have a 1998 Bonneville SSEI SUPERCHARGED......my engine went bad.....can a engine from a 2000 Buick Regal GS work in my car......there both 3800 Series 2 supercharged engines

Do I have to change the computer??????