Interior lights do not shut off after the car is parked and other little issues

Loree Hill

Asked by Oct 18, 2013 at 05:31 PM about the Ford Explorer

take the key out and the cargo and ceiling light stay on also when I put the key in
it starts alarming and doesn't stop unless I Fonz the steering column and even
then it starts back alarming me also I failed smog because my Check engine
light isn't coming on when I turn the car on what else simple I can check could
cause these problems I think they are all symptoms of a larger issue

Check door ajar switches on each of the doors. Sounds like you got one not working properly. Unplug door switches one at a time till lights go out.

Loree Hill

thank you I willtry that right now I'm taking the fuse for the lights and radio out and I didn't want to forget and have no battery power

I couldn't see where you listed what year explorer you have. But, for what is is worth, my daughter's '99 had the same problem. The switch which seems to be going bad is inside the door. It use to be the little button down by your foot on older model vehicles which would be depressed when the door is closed. The switch is down (inside the door) by the lock mechanism. Sometimes it sticks and results in the interior lights not being turned off when you close the door. It's probably the drivers side door. Sometimes, and it worked with my daughter's vehicle, it can be fixed with a good dose of WF40 flooded onto the switch mechanism.

Don't know the logic, however sit inside the car and lock the car from inside using the remote. It worked for me twice.

I have a similar problem..when I crank my 04'Explorer th interior lights want go off and dior ajar is showing on my dashboard...SOMETIMES I can slam th drivers door several times and it will go off other times it may not....wat should I do???please help dont wanna go to my truck and find a dead battery...thanks in advance

Dark: Open the door to your vehicle and look at the striker on the pillar. The striker is the metal piece screwed into the pillar which actually holds the door closed when shut. There should be a plastic spacer (usually gray) around the post. If it is missing that is the cause of your problem. Check the other door strikers and compare them. On earlier model explorers the plastic insert can only be purchased for the tailgate, the entire striker needs to be replaced on the doors.

My door ajar light stayed on and the interior light would come and go. It wouldn't come out of park one day. Changed the brake light switch and it seems to of fixed it.

Tammy Ferguson

I had the same issue on my expedition the door ajar light and all inside lights and running board lights would not go off however all doors and back hatch and back window were also closed. I am still waiting for my local ford company to return my call since they were busy helping customers there so I went to youtube and did a search. I saw this was a common issue among expeditions and the first video I saw suggested WD-40 in the door latches and open and close each door several times. I did this and the 3rd door I tried it on was the issue after spraying the latch and open/closing door twice it did the trick and all inside lights went off. I started my expedition and the door ajar light had also went off.