3sgte aw11?

5

Asked by Jul 22, 2009 at 07:45 AM about the Toyota MR2

has anyone here done a 3sgte swap into a aw11 mr2? if so how long did it take you and how difficult was the build?
im debating with the 3sgte for speed/fun or 4age silvertop for practicality,  but practicality is usually pretty boring
cheers

45

You can do it in a weekend. But since you are asking teh question you probably can't. I am building my 3rd MK1.5. Great cars. Look at www.speed-source.net or contact WoodSports in the UK for more info. Review the www.twobruttal.com website, also www.mr2oc.com has a ton of info

15

Bill is God. Take His word, and have faith.

5

ya im still a noob when it comes to engine tuning, i was hoping there was a conversion kit or a company in so cal that did the conversions, thanks for the .2 on how long it could take

15

Seriously, if you're after a nice jump in power, but don't have good fab skills, consider a 4AGTE. There's no engine mount fabbing, and can still produce a surprising amount of power. www.mr2oc.com It's your MR2 Google.

5

definatelly didnt rule out the option, it would be a great for me to do as my first engine swap so i can get experience on the matter but ill want at least 300hp down the road and the 4ag (without a lot of money spent and internals changed) wont reach that number, and the 3s after a few bolt ons will reach that so maybe i can find someone to pay to put it in, im a racer first mechanic second and i dont trust the second completely

15

Get yourself a GZE, they have a lower comp ratio, either 8:1 or 8.9:1 factory, ceramic coated pistons, strong as all hell rods and crank, and a tough block. Although not cheap, 300hp shouldn't be unacheavable. Consider a GT28RS for the turbo, go to the forum, ask questions etc. A friend of mine has just upped his boost from 8psi to 15 psi, and reckons 1st gear is almost useless now. *puts on Darth Vader voice* Don't underestimate the power of the 4A!!

5

Get onto MR2OC.com, I view that site religiously, everday for the past 7 years or so, hmm even the old board. It has all the info you need and great people.

5

ill have to register to mr2oc it sounds useful im already a member of mr2.com who are also useful, but since were alreayd talking about it the gze sounds like a great choice, but arent those obd 2 engines making it a little difficult to tune? the silvertop seemed like the choice engine to get started but if the gze is good and can handle the boost better than the silvertop then ill probablly go with that

45

No. There are no OBDII MR2s with the exception of the MR2 Spyder in 1999.

15

Pretty hard to deny the potential of 41,836 members worldwide with 3,881,982 posts. Like I said: the MR2 Google. www.mr2oc.com

45

10 years this August!

15

haha, cool Bill. I've been registered there for 5 of 'em.

5

Youve been there longer than 5 years havent ya Scotty? I know I have, how long has the new board been there, I was on the old one, until Bill had to pack it up and moved the server or something like that.

15

Now you mention it, yeah. I just looked at my profile info... :) but you know what my memories like Ian.

15

firstly... do you live in california? if yes, skip the 20v - its not legal and if you're caught, its called State Ref or IMPOUND. the 3sgte is a great swap IF you know how to handle that much power in such a small/light car. if you cant, then its just a complete waste. you could do a hybrid 7a-ge setup, to get more torque and it isnt expensive either. most people whack off furiously over the idea of the 3sgte in their mr2, but very few can control or use it effectively.