my beetle loses 60% of its power after i drive in it for too long... i was told that the fuel pump overheats and it sends low quantity of fuel to the carb..is that possible?

35

Asked by Aug 10, 2011 at 06:05 PM about the Volkswagen Beetle

195

What year/engine are you talking about? Mechanical fuel pumps can't do what you described.

1,615

what year car? if we are talking old air cooled beetle, then no. the mechanical fuel pump will not overheat. the cause of your problems could be several. is the motor running hot? when the car looses power, go back and pull out the dipstick. can you hold it in your hand or does it burn the crap out of you. burn=bad, hold=good. (i don't mean hold it forever, but you should be able to pull the dipstick out, check it , and put it back in without much trouble. if dipsticks to hot, you have cooling problems. engine hot=loss of power. if dipsticks cool, you either have fuel delivery problem or ignition problem. report back, and we will get you lined out.

60

Agree with Chris: Partial seizure or bad float levels in the carb could explain it. Older VW were prone to vapor lock. Another explanation is the advance weights in the distributor: If the axles are worn the advance curve will be modified. Also look at the condition of the vacuum advance tube. It can be worn and collapse or not work at all after the carb comes off choke.