Oil leak

Asked by Feb 15, 2017 at 04:49 PM about the Volkswagen Jetta

My Jetta is leaking oil whenever it's
running. It's coming from the passengers
side. But stops when the car isn't running.
I was wondering if anyone had a
suggestion as to what might be the
problem. ( this is my first VW Jetta

85,565

Just have to look to see where the oil is coming from. Should just take it in and have it repaired. Probably a valve cover gasket or something.

Thank you for you suggestion about the cover gasket. I don't have a warranty on it and would rather know what it is before I decide what to do

85,565

Just go into a shop for an estimate, have them look at it to determine exactly where the oil is coming from. It may be a cheap repair or it can be costly. All depends where the leak is coming from.

Right but what would I learn from that, how to take a car to a shop. I mean I understand the importance of getting a professional to look at it, but I would like to know what they would be doing to my vehical. I care about my car more than they do

85,565

Thats where you ask around from people who you know, where would be the best place to take your car. Yes there are some NOT so respectful garages, but mostly they are, and do good service. If it is an easy job to do, maybe you know someone you trust that can do this for you.

But why can't I find out what's wrong fix it, and then get a mechanic to look at it. If it really is valve cover gasket the it's about an hour or so's job. Plus it save me money and I learn something. You seem like you are a very loyal customer to your garage.

85,565

Well sure if you feel you can do it yourself, thats all fine. Just need to determine where the oil is leaking from. If it is an oil pan gasket or a crank seal, you would not want to do it. Just look at the valve covers, and the oil pressure sending unit. Most the time that is where the oil leaks from.

Front main seal, just fyi when doing that job its best to do it all ar once tb, wp cs, and tb.