oil leak

Asked by Apr 09, 2016 at 08:39 PM about the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta TSI Comfortline

I have an oil leak. I constantly add oil. I do frequent oil changes
fahf. Well yeste my oil light came on and it is blinking and dinging
like you wouldn't believe it won't stop. By the way when it
happened I immediately stoped the car shut it off and checked the
oil. It's was fine. So I  decided to change the oil and filter and
now it still doing the same thing the l oil indicator light came back
on.  well this time I decided to  check where the oil leak was
coming from and it seems like it's leaking from the oil filter
housing. how can I be for sure that's where it is before I take my
car apart?

10,815

Possible Causes of Low Oil Pressure Warning Light would be a low oil level, failed oil pump, or defective oil pressure sending unit, oil pressure gauge or warning light switch. A small leak should not cause the oil pressure to drop and trigger the light. You may have other issues.

1,680

An oil leak usually in itself won't cause oil light to go on unless oil level drops dangerously low. your oil pump may have gone out or plugged. Probably not this, but are your adding the right viscosity oil, not to thick? In any case don't take chance and drive it till you make sure oil is circulating, you could damage engine quick!

42,105

Take a close look at the oil pressure sender. Many times they leak and are mounted near the oil filter. Not sure of the exact location on your vehicle...

Best Answer
8,855

2009 modal... tsi... paper filter... i had the same thing happen to me after an oil change at the dealer.. The mechanic doing my oil change did not tighten the oil filter housing properly so i lost a quart of oil on a 1800 km trip.. they apparently did not use the proper tool for the job... The most likely suspect is the rubber seal tho. If vw was the one to recently do the oil change bring it back and complain that some one did not do there job right especially if the filter housing looks damaged. Fix is a new oil filter and cover cap and or just a seal. if the problem does not go away then the oil pressures sensor in the filter housing needs to be replaced.

Thank You Bob! You were right I found the oil leak coming from the oil sender unit. So I replaced it. I also replaced the oil filter flange gasket just to be on the safe side... After the repairs I took my car for a test drive! I had my rpm at about 3000 or more and The check oil light didn't come back on!! My oil level is good and I'm not leaking oil!! But I will still be looking out for any oil leak at least for the next couple days.. Bob, Thank You for your time and advice! I also want to Thank Mikbek and Mark! I also took your advice in consideration. Although I was hoping it wasn't going to be the oil pump!! And it wasn't!! Lol!

Hello Deathjam, I agree with you 100%.. but the only problem with that is, that I work on my own car. And depending on the warranty. But if it's not under warranty I mechanic my car. If I ever need to do a big job I would still do it my self and still have a male there just for the muscle because I'm petite. And I always think it's better if only one person works on your car. That way you know what is being done to your car vs taking their word for it. And people won't take care of your things better than you

8,855

I hear you there. glad to hear of a girl that can get elbow deep in grease like the rest of us grease monkeys ;) I do most of my work myself as well if it were not for my warranty I already would a been elbow deep inside my jetta replacing things that need to be replaced :P. If it gives you any more troubles just keep an eye on the filter. The filter will often get sucked in and leave an impression when oil levels are to low and cause the oil pressure warning light to come on due to a sensor that i mentioned. I had that happen once as well due to water frozen in my oil pan fix was pretty much just a oil & filter change for me.

42,105

Erica, you are welcome. Sometimes we do get the right answer, but at times it is difficult due to the complexity of today's vehicles.