2012 Jetta Door Lock Problem

Asked by Jan 03, 2012 at 11:08 PM about the Volkswagen Jetta

I have owned my Jetta for 1 week and on about 5 occasions, the drivers door will not
close properly resulting in the door staying open. Has anyone else experience faulty
door locks?

315

A 2012 model? Take it in! It should be under warranty, but could simply be ice(water) in the lock.

55

I find that I have to close the door hard, otherwise it will not latch. Jast takes some getting used to. Not sure if you are experiencing something else.

70

I own a 2012 Jetta and the car has been in the shop 3 weeks due to a door lock issue. Door lock wouldn't unlock, now it won't lock. VW is backordered on parts so it's been 3 weeks and no car. They need to replace it. Apparently a common problem as no parts available to fix this.

40

Oh my god. My 2012 TDI has been in the shop 3 times in the past 2 months for the stupid driver side door. The door latch is faulty (AGAIN!) so the door either doesn't lock, doesn't unlock, doesn't open or doesn't close depending on its mood. This morning the door wouldn't close so I had to have it towed to the dealership. This is by far the worst car I've ever had. Thank god it's a company car.

80

@NHakim1985 This has been happening to my 2012 Jetta for the last month. Part is on backorder. It seems to happen when weather is very cold- under 30 degrees F. Did anyone else notice this happening only in cold weather?

40

@jetta2012 I have a 2013 Jetta with barely any miles and usage, and I just started having this issue recently. The driver's side door -- when using either the fob or the button inside -- will not either latch or un-latch. I'm in Chicago and it's been a freeeezing winter, so yes, I only experienced this in cold weather. I was just thinking that it might be weather-related; and seriously, Chicago has averaged about 18 degrees for the past three months straight, with only a few days above freezing. So yeah -- a total pain, looks like I'll have to call my dealer and take it in to get replaced. Or wait until Spring.

80

Hi! This happened to me- but only when it was very cold out. I had to climb in the car through the passenger seat for weeks. I took it to the dealer- apparently there was a latch in the door, with a "crack"" in it letting cold air and moisture in. When this happened and temperature dropped, it froze and the door wouldn't open. VW replaced the latch for free and installed a weather protector device too.

20

I have a 2013 GLI and I have already had the lock cylinder replaced once. The key went in and just turned with out catching anything. The fob was the only way to lock the door. Now 4 months later I had to get in the back seat door to open the drivers door from the inside. Now my key will only go halfway in. I have called VW again, can't wait to see what they say. Also I have had to replace the cylinder in the trunk because it kept shutting on me and the steering wheel because the leather was fraying. I am starting to have my doubts.......I planned to keep the car until it was paid off and drive it until the wheels fell off but that may be sooner than expected at this point.

10

My 2011 Jetta has had drivers side lock problems from the first. Now that the warranty has expired the want to replace the lock at my expense. $425. Watch out what's coming.

10

I have a 2014 VW Jetta- had the driver door fixed as it wouldn't open and close- actually drove it this way- I teach my students are important I must get to school and since I teach I make nothing- vw needs to fix this.

I f you remove the door panel get some flat insulation foam reach up and rap it around the door lock as much as you can it stops it from freezing .

@NHakim and @jetta2012, I have had my 2012 Jetta for about a year, and I just started experiencing my driver side door not locking and not opening due to extreme cold. I have to climb over to my passenger side to get out of the car and get in the car. That's a pain in the neck, but I can say that I'm grateful that this isn't happening all of the time