Car smells like gas after I turn car off

Asked by Jan 20, 2015 at 04:17 PM about the Chrysler Sebring

DO NOT RESTART. You need to list engine and year. For example the 96 - 2000 (2.5 v6) had a recall, which the symptoms you describe would match, that was caused by the fuel injector rail leaking. The recall kit (in my experience) rusts away every 4 to 5 years. Chrysler supplied the first two kits to me for free (pre bankruptcy) the third kit was about $8 at the local Mopar dealership. The kit contains 12 O rings and 6 spring steel injector retaining clips and is relatively easy to install. The smell of gas means your car is leaking and could be anything from a damaged filler tube to the injectors. Edit: Better language and to note that I have the 98 JXI 2.5 and have done all the maintenance (minus accident related body work) on my car.

I have a 2006 convertible PT Cruiser Turbo Lite (turbo tuned to take regular gas) - and have the EXACT same problem this guy I quoted below had/has. Raw gas fumes fill the car every time I turn a corner or accelerate the car to pass a slow moving vehicle on the interstate. Usually the slow vehicle is going about 60 so it's not like I think I'm on the speed-limit-free Autobahn. The gas tank is always less than 1/2 full since I rarely drive out of town. "Craig Reynolds‎ en Chrysler 2 de febrero de 2013 · Alhambra, California · WARNING: All PT Cruiser owners. Fire Hazzard. I just submitted the following complaint to the NHTSA. There is a short jumper fuel line (plastic) that connects the main fuel line that runs from the tank up to the fire wall with the fuel rail. This line leaks fuel where it connects to the main line. It has been replaced three times and continues to leak. This is dangerous because this line is only a few inches from the turbo or exhaust and on a right hand turn could drip on to the turbo or exhaust and ignite. Also if sitting in traffic or driving at slow speeds with the A/C or heater on it must be kept in recirculate or the smell of fuel enters the cabin. Please note that I am a ASE Certified Master Technician and besides owning a PT Cruiser have worked on several others and almost every single one has this problem whether it is a turbo engine or not. The dealer will do nothing about it because there is no recall on it. I am pretty certain it is only a matter of time before someone experiences an engine compartment fire because of this problem. Anyone owning a PT Cruiser should have this line inspected to see if it is leaking and if so file a similar complaint. It is very easy to spot as the line will appear wet or covered in moist dirt at the connector. Also with the engine NOT running there will be a very strong fuel smell towards the back of the engine on the passenger side. For those like myself that also detest the lousy fuel economy this car gets, the fuel leak mentioned above is surely a contributing factor. What really bothers me the most is that if you ask any Chrysler dealer (ask the tech) they will tell you this is a common problem so there is no doubt Chrysler is aware. I guess someone is going to have to die or suffer severe injury before Chrysler does anything about this. "