Do BMW's last long?

250

Asked by Jan 23, 2013 at 09:45 PM about the BMW 3 Series

I'm looking into getting a 2006 BMW
325i or a 2007 BMW 328i with no
more that 35,000 miles is that a lot
for a BMW how long do they usually
last?

89,925

Usually 200,000-250,000 miles with good maintenance.

Best Answer
250

Thank you

515

dude, is that a question?!!! BMW last for life if u take good care of her, she is a sexy women that needs attention and love at the same time :) but dont be easy with her and give her some attitude ;)

515

another advice, PLZ PLZ PLZ go for the 330 and u will know what am talking about!

510

I have a 1988 735i that has 267,500 miles on it with a lot left to go. With continued maintenance I expect more than 300,000 miles on this one. I drive it every day and the engine purrs like a kittten. I have bought four BMWs since 1980 and all are still moving. I still have three of them and each one has more than 130,000 miles and work great. A key for me has been to stay away from a dealership that tries to sell you more than necessary. I patronize a BMW trained mechanic who only does what is necessary and I purchase the OEM parts on line at less than one-half the price of a dealership. So, I want nothing but a BMW in my garage or driveway.

250

I've never have a BMW I've always had Cadillacs,Mercedes,Lincoln, volkswagen's, Chevrolet gmc we have never had any thing out side of that and I want to get a BMW and I'm 18 and I'm playing for it on my own I know that Maintenance is gonna be expensive I know I know I here it all the time I just got done paying $180 for replacing a lightbulb in my car and $350 for glow plugs and $100 on oil change so I'm use to spending a lot of money in my car! That's nothing new to me I know that insurance is gonna be expensive and I've already called and got my quote everything is in my budget so please don't try to talk me out of getting one this has been my dream car since I was 7yrs old and ice waited 11yrs and I want this my dad told me if that's what u want then get it! All I wanted to know is if I can expect a long life span out of one and also I'll probably be going out of state to get this car and ideas or tips on how to get a Mechanic to look at this from out of state or am I gonna have to do it myself? Just wondering :)

250

I'm sorry if that came off rude in any way I didn't mean it to

4,155

BMW if taken care of will last a very long time. When I was younger all my BMW's were over 200,000 miles and never had an issue (besides the normal wear and tear stuff). The vehicle you are looking at has the N52 engine in both of them. This is are Inline 6 engine and one of the most awarding winning engine and just went out of production last year. I see these cars every day and if you want a BMW this is the best new model one to get. The normal issues with this model is valve cover gaskets, water pumps (that engine uses and electric water pump), thermostat (uses a electronically controlled one), vanos solenoids (this is really from people short tripping the car and not changing there oil enough), oil filter housing gasket leaking oil. Other then that they really don't have many issues and really all you need to look over the car is a hoist to get underneath it to check it out, but you could have a local dealer look at it for you. In my personal opinion I would keep away from 06 years had some issues with radios. Try for a late year production 07 or newer.

110

Just had the water pump, valve cover gasket, spark plugs and 2 coil packs replaced on my 2008 328i. Is that about normal for 76k miles? Total cost was about $2,300 parts/labor. Ouch!

100

I purchased a 2002 325ci brand new and I have 298,621 on it and it still runs great! I must say the maintenance is no joke, but I have had a mechanic for the last 6 years; that has cut down the cost to about 1/2 as much. For example he only charges me $650 for brakes where the dealership charges $1200. I will buy another Bimmer one day.

80

BMWs are very solid, durable, and reliable cars. I purchased my 2003 BMW 330i 4 door back in May,2003 (brand new), and today it has over 200,000 miles on it and still runs like new with everything being original. This is one of four BMWs that I have owned. I have owned a 2007 BMW 650i ( purchased brand new), 2008 BMW M3 hardtop convertible (purchased pre-owned), 2007 BMW M6 (purchased pre-owned), and currently own a 2010 BMW 750i x-drive.

60

I have a 2001 330ci. It has about 190k miles on it and runs great. I've only had it for 3 years but never want to drive anything but BMWs again. I'll drive it until it won't drive anymore then I am getting a gently used 2-4 year old M5 or possibly an M3 just depends on if I prefer power over gas mileage. My husband has a 1998 540 with over 210k miles that he has had for 3 years and he feels the same as me.

50

I bought a new BMW 325CI in 2006 while working in Germany. I LOVE my car. It is so fun to drive. I have been giving it excellent maintenance, the first years at the dealership, but now I found another shop that I am very happy with. My mileage is just under 80,000. I sometimes play with the idea of getting another car, but then I get behind the wheel...and that idea goes out the window. BTW my grand kids love riding in Grandma's convertible(: I am looking forward to the next 80,000 miles...

90

I have a 1997 BMW 328i Convertible. 385,000 miles and still going strong. The top is a bit worn and some rust is popping up. But I still love driving it. I figure the newer gadgets may be pricey to fix, but on the whole the electronics have been solid. The radio went, and I replaced it with an after market. But other than that it really has been amazingly reliable. Once I break this one I will be looking for another. Also - I do my own work but a private mechanic knows these cars are easy to work on and aftermarket parts are available at less cost.

30

Glad to see the above answers! I've just bought my first BMW...320i 2008 with around 66k on the clock. Looking to keep it well maintained at an independant mechanic and looking for it to last another 10 years. Looks like it might from the above.

40

These answers are so helpful thank you! I am the type that likes to make my cars last. I test drove my first BMW today and was pretty much "high" for hours after! I am in love with a 2013 X3 xDrive 28i if anyone has input on those? It's a certified pre-owned with 38,000 miles. I also drive about 25,000 per year so that is a factor.

140

i found a dealer with an 02 bmw with around 145k miles for 4k dollars...., car looks clean but than again looks can be deceiving. should i take the risk of buying a car on the verge of death or will it be a solid investment? you can email answers to siccmindedtattooz@gmail.com

190

I have a 2001 325CI convertible. Beautiful car. When I run the top up or down people stop to watch the show. I love that car, so easy to handle, so responsive. I bought it with 170k miles and at 193k I traded cars with my wife for one day and AAA brought her home on a flatbed truck. The engine had overheated and was destroyed. While crying I am now shopping for a used, low mileage engine to replace the original. I tried rebuilding the engine but found too many things defective (warped head, burned valve, melted piston). It is a very complex engine and not easy to rebuild, even if it was worth it.

60

just bought a 2006 325i and it was the executive/demo car until 08' when the person i bought it from purchased it. car has all possible features and extras this year had to offer. beautiful silver 4 door sedan. but i'm a little nervous. spent 9,900 on it with 99k miles but the thing is freaking loaded and WELL maintained. any advice for someone who just doesn't wanna be one of those turds who let the damn thing go. of course i'll be on top of it but is there anything i can just or check or even refrain from everyday?

190

I have a 1995 Toyota pickup with 483,000 miles and is most reliable vehicle I own. Never fails, always runs, gets 32 mpg hwy. The truck is never washed, never change oil, just add when needed. When I get to 500,000 miles I am going to change main and rod bearings. Guess I'm getting sentimental.

30

One thing in common with all brands of cars & trucks, is that there are many for sale with well over 250k miles. So it's proof that ALL vehicles can run at least up to 250K as long as it's maintained. I used to buy brand new, but I got wiser & because I'm semi-retired now, I decided to buy a car with 202K miles. I know I can afford to pay it in full with cash, but I am smart enough to know to do smaller monthly payments through a dealership instead of paying in full to a private seller, this way, if the vehicle fails or needs a major repair, I can decide if it's worth the repair or give it back to the dealership, which then I would have only lost a small down payment. I never register my cars immediately, I wait until the very last day allowable to register, this way I test drive for many days without a dealer around me and feel like I got my down payment's worth. I will let u know results soon how long this BMW lasts that has 202K miles presently.

190

Since 1987 most but not all of the vehicles I have owned were salvage title. I bought these cars not more than 1 year old with an average of about 10,000 miles on them. There have been 4 of them, so far, and all have been as good as any new car. No unexpected problem with any of them. Cost averaged about $10,000 (half or less of new price) on each, except a jeep cherokee that was $5,000 which I drove to Alaska and back a week after I bought it. Most people don't know enough about cars to realize what a bargain the salvage market is, so I don't usually have to rush to buy. The down side is that they are hard to sell, except to my friends who know the cars. So, when I buy one, I expect to keep it until near the end of its life. I never buy from a dealer. Can't see why I should pay their profit.

50

I'm looking at a 2010 328i with 75,000, I was thinking the mileage was a little high, maybe not?

190

I have a 325ci convertible with 194,000 miles when it overheated and ruined the engine. My fault. Poor maintenance. On the other hand I also have a '95 Toyota pickup with many dents. I never wash it and never change oil, just add as needed. It now has 486,000 miles on it and is the most reliable car I have.

20

I have a 2007 330i I have 130.000 mi. on mine. I've been having to put some $ into it lately. I adore my car! I drive like I mean it. I love to drive and I do not want another kind but don't know if I'll have to? I always want a BMW but I'd be happy if I could just keep this one running!!

45

I have a 2006 BMW 325xi. I love my car - just replaced the brakes...but then it was hiccuping and needed a new starter...then a hose blew and a crack in the radiator was discovered so that needs to be replaced in addition to an expansion tank. I'm choosing to believe that once these things are replaced the car will last a least a few more years after the spark plugs are replaced. It does seem like the car costs a couple of thousand a year to keep on the road once you get beyond the extended 100K mile warrantee. And it looks so good for its age!

190

My 2001 325CI convertible was purchased with 170k miles on it for $4000, about 1/10 of its new cost. It has a perfect body and decent top and is a beautiful vehicle. I have seen pedestrians stop and watch as the top goes up or down. I loved driving it, but at 194k miles the engine died. I have rebuilt many engines over the years and most take me no more than a weekend to do a ring and valve job. This one took me 3 weeks to remove the head. I had to buy numerous new tools, some only available online. It is the most complex engine I have ever worked on. I am now 6 months into the project and barely started on the reassembly. Meantime my son bought a used Honda Civic for $3000 which runs and runs and runs...no problems at all...while I am stuck in the garage with my new tools. Is it worth it? Depends on how much you like pain and expense.

10

It's not the engine you need to worry about, it's the other extremely expensive components and their life expectancy may be far less than the engine. That said, 40,000 miles is absolutely nothing for any car.

10

Love this thread, I'm about to join the BMW family, waiting on numbers for a 2008 BMW 135i with 93k on it, connect with me on facebook, my name is Hulk Bailey on there, look me up, and wish me luck on my purchase!!!

10

I just bought a 2008 M3, always wanted one after riding in my brother in laws. I got a really good deal and it only has 28,200 miles on it. I also opted for a premium 48/48 extended warranty through the Ford dealer I bought the car from, and lifetime oil changes. In fact from 2008-2012 it only had 5470 miles put on it, carfax report.

10

Radser: I am curious how your car overheated to the point of a ruined engine. Can you enlighten us? FWIW, I purchased a pre-owned 2006 330xi in September of this year that had 66k miles on the odometer. Car runs great. Developed a misfire in cylinder #1, but I went back to the original owner and he swapped out the coil for one he had laying around, and that took care of the problem. My ownership started with a fresh oil change, but I want to change the fluid in the steptronic auto-tranny as well. I currently have added 7k miles that have been uneventful other than the sheer joy I have derived from driving the vehicle. Caruso

190

I wish I knew the answer to this question. The car had 170k miles when I bought it and I drove it to 193k. It ran beautiful. Then one day I loaned the car to my wife to go to work. She came home in a tow truck with a ruined engine. With the head removed I found a burned valve in cyl 4 and a slightly eroded piston in cyl 2. Both cyl 2 and 4 had zero compression. I bought new head bolts and tested the aluminum block for full torque. It passed the test. Head is warped 0.017 inch. Maybe I can get by with another head, new piston, one new valve, and new rings. So far I have not had time for the job, so I bought a 2006 325ci convertible. Love the car. So far no problems. Cannot deal with a 330ci. I'm 78 and don't have reactions like 19. Best I have a slower car and understand my limitations.

I just bought a 2008 M3, with 28,200 miles on it, paid 30,000. I am hoping for 10 years out of it, real blast to drive.

Traded a 2014 used Camaro, v6 2ls, my wife hated it, called it a redneck mobile.

45

Well now my car has a power steering fluid leak - which I've been told is $3K to fix and there is apparently a ripped boot, oil leak - so my wonderful car is still driving beautifully now over 180K miles, but I've been told that between all these things, there is $7K of repairs looming in the future that they know of. Ahhhh.Sorrow. Even the dealer said it would not be worth putting $ into the car. It is a great car for a do it yourselfer repairer. Unfortunately, I need to rely on others to fix the car.

I have a 2006 BMW 325i and it is starting to overheat. It will be okay the first 20 miles or so but when my heat is on you feel it turn cold and there is about 5 minutes left until it is overheating. I just need to know if anyone has any idea what is going on and exactly what I need to replace is? I have been told by a few people that it is the electric thermostat

Looking to get a 2003 325I with 200k for 2200 the car has a new alternator as well as spark plugs.. i drove the car smoothest ride ever. There are no check engine lights, car is dreamy. let me know what you all think

190

I bought a 2001 325ci with 170k miles. At 193k it burned a valve and melted one piston. I have rebuilt many different auto engines but quickly found that the BMW engines are very difficult to work on. For one, I needed a whole new set of tools. Many of the bolts have a male torx head on them, so you need a female torx wrench. I would not advise this purchase unless you are willing to enjoy the ride you get and then just dump it when it breaks, which it will. The price sounds right.

I have a 2000 328ci 310,000 and counting just take care of it and don't baby it, these cars have a need for speed... and yes I no I'm hella late on this post

chelseajackson - I found out there's a couple other important things to get fixed when your BMW is starting to overheat. #1 fan clutch, #2 water pump and #3 thermostat. A lot of people get stuck at thermostat and don't realize #1 and #2 are super important. The parts really are not that expensive, check out FCP Euro. You can buy those parts online, and ask a independent mechanic to install them for you. Change the hoses and belts at the same time. Your problem sounds like water pump to me. For fan clutch, you can test yours by spinning it, if it spins too easily (no resistance to your hand spin) the clutch is worn, and what happens is the fan does not spin fast enough when the engine is running. (of course test it when the engine is off!) After I replaced mine I could not believe my fan pushed out air like an old WWII fighter plan propeller. Before it was weeeeeak!

10

I have a 2007 328i that I bought new. It currently has 85k miles on it and its on its 3rd set of run-flat tires, which are the best gen. yet. I stopped using the dealer service department when the free maintenance expired at 50k miles and use an Indy BMW garage now. The have pounded the table to replace the oil and filter at 5k miles instead of 15k like the dealer says. The car has been problem free except for minor electronic glitches every once and awhile. A month ago the power lock went out, a new fuse was all the was needed. A couple of weeks ago the ABS brake light came on and went off, not worried could be a sensor failure. The car got new spark plugs at 80k and seems to run better and is getting better mileage, which is about 32-34 on interstate. I love this car and next year it will be 10 years old and I have no plans to give it up, its part of the family. I might add that I got it with a 6 speed manny tranny, love it. This car makes me profoundly happy! BMW for life! PS I visited the BMW Factory and Museum in Munich 2 years ago and highly recommend if you are BMW freak like me!