Did the dealership rip me off? Any way to recoup loss thru dealership?

25

Asked by May 01, 2008 at 10:34 AM about the 1993 Chevrolet Blazer

I traded my 1993 Sport Blazer, 136K mi., it only had a small rear fender dent which barely impacted rear hatch/door, otherwise v good cond. inside & out, very clean, only got $2700 ($2500 + tax).  Had running boards, off-road towing pkg, roof rack, power windows & doors, power mirrors, power seat, alloy wheels, ABS, cassette radio, AC, tinted windows, 1 owner (me!), etc. Engine was original.  I feel ripped off; went by Kelly BB and wasn't aware of asking price; I'm seeing on web average price of $6000.  I feel very frustrated; $ is hard to come by and I am wondering if a dealership would have given me much more for it had I haggled more (Dealership manager snatched it up immediately after my trade in was complete!)  I live in Houston,TX area.  Please let me know if I've been ripped off, and if there's anything I can do to try to recoup some of what I believe to be my loss.  Thank you!

10

yes they did rip you off and no there isn't a way to get anymore money. you made the agreement and that's the end.

The price sounds right to me. The car is 15 years old, plus it's got 135k miles. Not many people are going to want to buy a 15 year old car with that many miles. If it does have its original engine I would be surprised if it lasted too much longer. Plus, most people would prefer to buy a newer vehicle. You also have to take into consideration how vehicles are priced in your area as well as whether or not the dealership deals in Chevy's. If they don't deal in that maker, dealers will often will sell the vehicle at a loss or make very little in profit. I hope that helps and makes you feel better.

345

well, you agreed to the price before you did any research, also...asking price and what the public will pay is not always the same. The dealership wants to make a profit too. if they buy your car from you for 5000 and sell it for 5500 then they didnt make enough to justify the trade.

8,115

m8 Private party value is diffrent than dealer trade in. They can you exactly what you should have expected, check Kbb.com again this time for trade-in value.

25

What's frustrating is that I thought I did do the research, but I didn't look at classifieds, just went by KBB, and classifieds are going at over twice the price of KBB for same vehicles. Now I'm wondering if KBB is accurate. Maybe it is for dealerships looking to turn a profit? So, are y'all saying that even though asking price is around $6-7K, people are actually settling for half that price in their sales?

100

I'VE BEEN SELLING CARS SINCE '76. IF I SOLD A 93 BLAZER FOR 6G I WOULD BE PLAYING GOLF NOW RATHER TELLING YOU THAT I DON'T THINK YOU WERE TAKEN-IN THE FUTURE TRY INVESTIGATING YOUR OPTIONS BEFORE YOU MAKE THE DEAL