94 astro.I replaced fuel pump relay according to obd code and drove the van for a night after trying to get it started all week. Tried to start it the next day an won't start and fuel relay is bad aga

Asked by Nov 11, 2015 at 10:14 PM about the 1994 Chevrolet Astro

Fuel relay is bad day after replacing

77,875

If the fuel pump is drawing too much power it will fry the relay, have you checked the amperage draw of the fuel pump?

How would I fix that? I haven't checked it. I just bought the van and it did the same thing after I drove it home. The obd code is for fuel pump relay ecm so that's y I replaced it and it seemed OK besides a rough idle yesterday until I tried to start it today.

77,875

Replacing the pump if that is the cause of a high power draw, you should also check the ground and power supplies, make sure they are good and you don't have low voltage or bad ground feeds to the relay and the fuel power supply. There is a known fault in the fuel pump connector. Hope this helps clear up some more questions.

37,925

What tennisshoes is saying is replacing the relay is not fixing the cause of the problem. Check what he says, known problem being the connector for the fuel pump.

So would this mean check the ground for the connector.. is there a main ground for wine components. Sorry, I'm just not the best mechanic. I don't mind getting dirty I just don't wat I'm doing lol. I appreciate the help tho fellas. U guys r awesome

77,875

Here's a wiring diagram.

So does this mean I need to replace a wire harness. And the fuel pump.

77,875

It means that you need to check it all out, the connector will show a burn mark if it is bad but there is still more to check i.e. Power and grounds pathways as shown in the pic.

The weird part is when I replaced the relay. Van ran all night . Idle was a little rough n it stalled twice after idling for some time. But if pump were bad wouldn't it not pump fuel

77,875

Like I stated before if it is drawing too much power due to an internal pump problem or a bad power or ground it can fry a new relay, so check the connections, the power and grounds for proper contacts and then you already know about the known failures with the fuel pump connector plug at the fuel pump. Use the diagram to locate connection and power problems. A fuel pump is just like any other electric pump when they get some age on them the amperage draw goes up just before they totally fail, but you need to make sure your voltage supply is ample at the pump itself before condeming the pump, I don't know how many people have came to and asked why the rig won't run well even though they put in a new pump, turns out they had a bad ground or there was a badly corroded power feed. Take the time and check it out.

Do u think getting to pump by cutting hole in floor would b better then dropping the tank.

77,875

I have always dropped the fuel tank cause that is the right way to do it. But it is your rig, if you want to degrade the floor it is your choice.

So I was looking in the wireharness for relay n noticed brown gunk in each outlet hole. Is it possible they put some kind of lube on relay prongs that conducts electricity and it's causing damage to the relay

77,875

It most likely is the contact lube that was put on at the factory, by this time it should be all brown and crusty, clean it up just to make sure it isn't covering up some corrosion in the contact surfaces. If there is a high amp draw there it would be burnt black.

OK.

So I think pump n relay r both working. I believe it's getting fuel but I got same relay obd code. I know atleast one coil is getting spark

But still no start