Fuel pump relay/fuel pump problem

Asked by Feb 05, 2009 at 12:20 PM about the Chevrolet Astro

I have already checked/replaced the electrical connections on the relay, fuseable link and fuel pump power supply.  When I turn the key to the "on" position, the relay activates, the fuel pump turns on then turns off after about 5 seconds because the relay deactivates.  Is this a problem with a failing fuel pump drawing too much power or is a problem with the ignition switch?  Note: After the fuel pump shuts off, I turn the key off, then back on and the relay wont activate.  If I jolt the ignition with my hand and turn it on again and the relay and fuel pump activate with the same 5 second result. Please help...

30

I know this was back in feb but did you ever figure out what the problem was? I am having the same situation and was told by the mechanic that it was the fuel pump, but I was right there with him and he seemed too sure without very much inspection and he definitely didn't do any tests, such as pressure or any kind of tinkering with the ignition.