Can I install an inline fuel pump at the filter just to make it home?

Asked by Dec 07, 2014 at 09:11 PM about the 1991 Chevrolet Astro LT Passenger Van Extended

I am sure my fuel pump went out. I am a disabled vet and away from home (Knoxville, TN) in FL. I can drop the tank at home and do it myself but not here. Just want to make it home. Will the inline pump work as a patch? If so what kind of inline pump would work?
I have a Holley on my Chevelle, but they are expensive, is there a cheap version?

Trade 'er in on a new ride, Clyde!! Treat yourself to a new car this Holiday Season!! Woot Woot! Hollar Back!!

26,545

Dropping the tank and installing an OEM pump isn't much more work than installing an inline pump, which would also entail some custom modification and wiring. Problem is having to run your in-tank fuel line to bypass the factory fuel pump, as most inline pumps won't pull through the stock pump. Most inline fuel pumps are installed as it makes switching out a broken pump at the track or in the field when off-roading much easier, but the initial setup still requires dropping the fuel tank. You're not going to be saving yourself any trouble in your case.