1988 FWD brake lights stuck on HELP!

Asked by Mar 29, 2011 at 09:15 PM about the 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

Hi i have a 1988 Cutlass Supreme FWD. My brake lights are stuck on. I have replaced the stoplight switch and the steering column. they are still on.
Does any one know if the stoplight switch is adjustable and if it is how do you do it?  Thanks.

4,425

did you check the continuity of the switch, for instance you would get continuity or a closed circuit when the switch is closed ( simulating pressing the brake pedal) and no continuity or an open circuit when the switch is open (simulating foot off the pedal). I would say if the result of the continuity test shows as I mention the switch is probably good. stoplight switch is typically not adjustable I think there might be a short circuit somewhere

theres a switch under brake also im having same problem i checked flasher bulbs, turn swicth hook up right, my brake lights stay i have to cut on hardzard light to cut them and turn signal to work then push it back in to cut off. i don't know

REPLACE YOUR TURN SIGNAL SWITCH IN THE STEERING COLUMN... WHEN IT GOES BAD, THAT TENDS TO BE THE RESULT