what's wrong when brake lights won't go off on a 1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme?

40

Asked by Jun 11, 2015 at 10:59 PM about the 1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 4 Dr S Sedan

Battery dies over time when lights won't go off.

58,425

Check under dash,it will be the brake light switch at top of break pedal,is bad.

40

Changed brake light switch and it still doing the same thing.

58,425

You must have a short in wire some where,check power to switch on both side,s ,if there is power to both switch wire,s you have a short.

40

Have power to both sides. Where could a short be?

58,425

Undo the brake light switch,see if light go,s out,if it dont start checking your wiring in trunk at tail light,s back to switch.If it go,s out when switch is undone,may be another new bad switch.

58,425

And one more thing to check,make sure you clipped the wiring harness in right at the switch.

56,715

This is unusual but it can happen. You could have a bad turn signal switch. Your 2 outboard brake lights actually feed through the turn signal switch in the steering column. The high mount (3rd brake light) stop light does not. If the high mount stop light is ok, check the turn signal switch. It may be shorted. HTH. -Jim

16,790

When testing brake switch one wire should have power all the time and the other one should not have power until brake pedal is depressed then go out when pedal is released. If power going to both and not applying brake pedal make sure brake switch is installed correctly or is adjusted so that switch is making contact with brake pedal when it is depressed.