I'm losing fluid from radiator with No leaks. It started after I bypass my heater core. And my Radiator Cap won't snug tight like it should. Can't pinpoint the problem. What's wrong?

30

Asked by Apr 19, 2014 at 01:29 AM about the 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

110,065

Replace the radiator cap. If cap is not sealing properly or is the wrong psi for your car your cooling system will operate properly and you will loose coolant.

Best Answer
30

I will be getting a Cap Asap, Thanks.

110,065

Your welcome. Let us know if you need more help or info.

30

I have a 84 Cutlass Supreme and I'm missing my left grill for it. Will a Left grill fit the right side?

30

I'm losing fluid from the Radiator and back up box with No leaks. I went and bought a radiator cap cause my old cap was a defect and thought that I would be ok. So I took a drive and I'm still having this problem. Also I replaced the thermostat cause that hose that runs from hit was really Hot and Hard but that's not the problem cause it's still getting hot and hard. I use to have a V6 but last week I had a small block 350 put in it so I'm using the small radiator that I bought when I was using the V6 and I'm using only one small fan. Do I need a Bigger Radiator and another or bigger fan. I hope someone read this carefully and can tell me what's going on.

110,065

Ok now I see the whole picture. Are you sure the water pump is ok? Does your temp gauge read normal while you are highway driving and only overheats when you slow for traffic or just idling? If so then you probably need a bigger fan or two fans. If it's running hot while highway driving then you will most likely need a larger radiator. That is if you are sure the water pump is working properly, thermostat is installed correctly and that all the air has been burped out of the system.

110,065

Also are all the fan shrouds installed so that the fan is forced to pull air thru the radiator while idling?

30

It only heats when I'm slowly driving and just idling. And I don't have a shroud on it.

110,065

Ok then I would upgrade the fan.

30

Ok I'm going to up grade the fan or just add another. Also I will get a shroud put on it. It's Pityful when a professional shop don't tell you this. One more question. When I add these things. Is a Bigger Radiator Necessary or the small radiator that I have should also be ok for the 350?

30

The shop is going to take the small fan off and put it in the front of the radiator and put a 16inch on the back radiator close to the motor with out the shroud. Will it work.

110,065

It could work as long as there is plenty of air flow thru the smaller radiator. But honestly it's a crap shoot. Might or might not work. Either way if you have to get a bigger radiator you will need the bigger fan too.

30

Had the bigger fan put on,drove it then let it run in park, it seems to be OK. I drove it home then to work and had no problems. I hope that the problem is solved. Eventually I'll upgrade the Radiator. Thank You for the Advice...

110,065

Glad we could help.

10

OK I have a 2002 dodge caravan I'm losing antifreeze but I'm not leaking anywhere done looked and nothing there's no white smoke from the tailpipe I also changed out a sell from the water hose to the radiator I'll have heat for like two days and then I have to put more antifreeze in what's going on any one know