I took my car to get motor rebuild and I open the radiator and it was full of dirt corrosion

Asked by Nov 23, 2015 at 06:33 AM about the 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

Is it the mechanics falt

237,825

Then I would suggest to flush the cooling system and or if the radiator is leaking or looks bad, replace it with new hoses.

101,565

You need a really good flush...

8,160

without reading the repair order, people cannot place blame. a rad. with things floating in it is no surprise, unless the block and head were tanked and the rad was cleaned by a rad shop, or renewed. all the haoses and pum and heater were new, etc. after you flush, it can repeat the appearance if debris. it needs to be chemically treated, then flushed again. GM recommends those systems to run a factory and dealer supplied tablet. It acts as a leak stopper for casting porosity. That can present as tiny pinholes, but not cause failure for mexican castings used back in '86. It looks like silicate debris after mixing with the coolant and deposits on the cap or in the recovery tank even after a flush. A judgement thru repetition is made by Mr. Goodwrench. Normal is normal, and needing a flush is based on coloration. Can that be a "mechanic's fault" no, and especially not if you reduce cost by sidestepping regular maintenance or all the steps in a complete engine overhaul by declining the extra work, or it gets left undone because of the cost and saleability of the extra work. You just maintain by draining and filling, filling with water, chemically treating, and flushing again. Then after your antifreeze settles, pour back in, off the top. Time consuming, so, it gets left undone but continues to be what it is. ok, without real symptoms.

8,160

Excuse(hoses and pump) typo. Verify engine ground, body ground, etc to stop electrolitic corrosion, and flush at regular intervals to reduce acidic alkalinity. That's the smart money.

93,045

This is exactly why most engine rebuilders now require that the radiator and all coolant hoses be replaced at the same time the engine is redone. I never did an engine without doing the cooling system.

8,160

Right Tennis shoes, and people that try to go on the cheap have the most trouble, and blame their help. or choose the least expensive estimate, trying to get by, then turn and try to tear them to pieces. Human nature added to listening to people adds up to "they must have messed it up", Then the service manager pulls the file and says , well? you declined repairs, here, and here, and here.

8,160

and the general consensus around the industry is you are not trying to make THAT YMM a show car you can eat off of,

21,985

When a new engine is put in, it needs ALL NEW components to go with it- new fuel system, new ignition system, new cooling system- an '86 Cutlass is hardly worth this expense-

8,160

Right, judgement is the valuable part of diag......over fixing and guess fixing? it feeds the junkyard. I get so many recently replaced parts that way.