Why would my car's rpms run high then return to normal after filling car with transmission fluid but then the speedometer stopped working?

Asked by Jun 06, 2015 at 11:05 PM about the 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 2 Dr SL Coupe

I started to accelerate and noticed that rpms were running high.  Returned home and
looked at transmission fluid.  It was low so I filled it to level needed.  Test drove it and it
started getting back to normal.  Parked it and then later in the day, started driving it and
rpms were high again and now speedometer doesn't want to work.

100,545

Sounds like the speed sensor was sending erratic signals to the ECM at first, causing you RPM problem, it cooled off some for your test, but then went away completely, just a guess but I have seen this before, so get the codes pulled to be sure.

4,255

If the codes are inconclusive the next stop needs to be a transmission shop for a diagnosis. My '03 Grand Prix did something similar a few years back and very shortly thereafter the transmission pretty much self destructed. The damage may already be done in yours, but you don't want to be left stranded.

65

sugest u take it out of nutral,