1984 LTD Crown Victoria won't start.

Asked by Jun 08, 2015 at 01:53 AM about the 1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria

I have replaced the battery, ignition
switch, starter, and solenoid but still
nothing. When turning the key the
lights come on and there's a click but
the engine won't turn.

8,420

Battery connections, cable connections, starter relay, power on start enable wire at the starter relay, once you have those, the relay completes the power to the cable running from its secondary side to the starter. are you at some point there? I question the use of the term solenoid, if you refer to your fender mounted starter relay, check that it is not wired differently now. and jump it. the starter should engage and turn, if the key was on it would start. be sure its in park or neutral, and block drive wheels. where does this info put you?

8,420

If you are not using motorcraft parts, at least a borg warner premium starter relay is recommended. you need to be able to depend on it hot or cold, rain or shine, through thick and thin. If smacking it makes it work?, there was 12.6 volts in the battery, good connections, the battery passes a load test, and power comes on the start enable wire during cranking, and it cranks the engine? that can be a defective new part. get a good one.

8,420

By the way, the ford schematic always shows the starter relay case grounded to the body where it mounts up. scrape off any added paint or clean the surface to a shine with wire brush.

8,420

The ground cable needs to ground to the engine block or head. The body needs to ground to the engine, the battery needs a ground leg to the body. see where you are after all that basic electrical. oh, the back of the head can have a ground strap to the body.

8,420

You expect to carry starter draw amperage through a wire with alligator clips???