Oil change question 85 Crown Victoria Ltd

Asked by Jan 27, 2016 at 12:48 AM about the 1985 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 4 Dr S Sedan

So I'm changing the oil on my Crown
Victoria, I released the drain plug and oil
filter and only two and a half quarts drain. I
know I need to get the rest of the oil out so I
put the filter back on the plug back in turn
the car on and turn it off undo all plugs and
more comes out why is it doing this?

61,075

Is the car parked on a level surface? Did you check the oil level before you drained it? The filter holds 1/2 to 1 quart. If your oil filler cap is on the valve cover, remove it and look inside. Is the valve cover full of oil? If so, the drain holes that go through the head and block down to the oil pan may be blocked with sludge given the age of the car. If this is the case you probably have an oil pressure problem causing the oil light on the dash to come on. I wouldn't run the engine with the oil pan empty. This will cause serious engine damage and may allow the oil pump to lose it's prime!! HTH. -Jim

The oil cap was off, and yes the oil was full. There are no dash lights on at the moment. I ended up restarting the car several times for a couple seconds so the oil will circulate then I would turn the car off so I can drain more oil. I thought maybe oil pump but the engine runs great and for an old car its still under 80,000 mile. I have done a ton of oil changes on different vehicles and this issue has me stumped.

5

There are two (2) drain plugs on many Fords. One is visible on the front of the oil pan and the other is on the bottom surface behind the crossmember that runs underneath the oilpan.