Does the ignition module make the car run rough

20

Asked by Jan 31, 2016 at 09:54 AM about the 1989 Buick Riviera

My car has misfire does module make car run
rough

81,805

I think it would be more in he distributor cap and rotor. They get a big build up on the terminals on the inside. Then I would clean up the throttle body, check for tightness, along with the intake manifold, and replace the fuel filter. You can check plugs and wires accordingly to see if replacement is required.

Best Answer Mark helpful
20

I have a 3800 it has a coil pack car runs with a misfire doesn't back fire or nothing runs like it needs a tune up but I changed plugs wires don't what to do

20

An it idles high sometimes

81,805

That may be a vacuum leak. Thats why to check for tightness on the throttle body, mounting bolts, and intake manifold bolts, but also look for bad, cracked, vacuum lines. There is the Idle Air Control Valve on the throttle body that can cause grief. I would go to this last, as it would need to be taken out, and replace it or try and clean it, but also the port that it is in would need to be cleaned good also. There is a major source of vacuum there.

20

Ok thanks I appreciate it

113,595

Intake manifolds are high on the failure list on these rigs, so that is another thing that should be checked out, I have seen this particular module cause rough running, usually it shut off one coil so you loose 2 cylinders, also have seen the relictor ring on the crankshaft get damaged and that will cause a misfire. Also check for carbon tracking on the coil towers, it is usually between the two so the spark switches back and forth and not going to the plugs, a path of least resistance thing. HTH