engine starts with no problem; but, when I put in gear and press on the gas, it immediately shuts down; the check engine light does not come on, my mechanic is very puzzled.

220

Asked by Nov 15, 2012 at 04:06 PM about the 2007 Hyundai Sonata

1,520

What do u mean shuts down, is it like turning off the key shut down, or does it cough and sputter

220

The engine just fall dead when you step on the gas; it seems to jerk before it shuts off.

1,520

Sounds like it may be a transmission issue, put the car in neutral, start it, then while your foot is still on the break, put the car into drive. Let me know if it does the same thing

1,520

Are u saying itshits off in reverse or u can make it to drive position and it shuts off

1,520

Ok thought more about your problem, i think it is your transmission, i believe your torgue converter is locked up, what is happening, when u put it in gear the torgue from the engine is put into coverter, it has a series of cluthes inside that get tighter as force is applied by your transmission, however if the torgue converter is seized, then all of the motors energy is being applied to your trans, then to your axles, since your car is on the ground and not moving it kills the motor

Best Answer
220

Mark, the mechanic thought your answer made a lot of since; we will be checking that out, thanks for your knowledge!

1,520

Hey just a thought before u go to trouble of torgue converter, does u car have shifter lights on the dash, P N D 3 2 1. Are all the lights working as u shift it down to each location. I worked on a kia this morning. Kia and hyundai kind of the same, anyway had shifted real hard in reverse, it would learch backwards. My reverse light wasnt coming on. So i thought something electrical. I changed the electrical switch, that is attached to the transmission, the one that the shift cable is hooked to. Solved my problem, i now ur is more severe than mine was, but im thinking if ur switch has failed compleatly, it coul be causing total lock up of uur tramission clutches, just an extra thought to help u, because torgue converters are a bitch to change.. especually if u dont need to.

20

the car shuts off when in its in drive are just idling

190

My car does the same thing but i put it in neutral n it starts up.But i was stuck in the alley n was getting out for two days ..Now it was driving fine until todat when i turned into the alley my car felt like it was shaking n then it cut off now the engine starts but i press the gas itsgies back off can some one help me

30

I have a 2004 kia optima it jerks when I go into reverse it was driving fine until one day I started it up and it went into gear but it wouldn't move when I shift to drive I need answers please on if I need a new transmission are if something else is going on please help

60

I know that I was having issues with my car shaking while driving and I changed the spark plugs, wires, and one of the two coils. Worked fine. Now I have an issue where I drove it home from work and it as fine. Went to leave 10 minutes later and I went to start it, it idled for maybe 10 seconds and then died. Not sure whats going on with it.

330

My car Nissan Altima 2005 will start and run fine but when I put it in drive or any other gear it dies! Can someone please help me

60

I just had the same problem check your oil in if it's low add more oil in u will be good

10

My niece's 04 altima would die when putting in drive, also has a bad squealing belt. After reading several forums, seized torque converter solenoid seemed to be trending. I tried an old school trick and used a wrench to tap the solenoid just above the transmission a few times and it worked. She can put it in gear now and it doesnt die. This is obviously not the permanent fix but it has worked for now

20

My Ford Explorer is doing the same.. when I ran the obd scanner on it. The codes said epc solenoid, tcc solenoid and all the shift solenoids..I ordered all 5 on eBay with a transmission filter for 138. As soon as they get here I'll put them on and post on here if it fixed the issue Josh

10

I was driving my bmw 520d se Auto on motorway yesterday doing 80mph and then all of a sudden the power went and when I looked at the gear knob it was indicating it has gone into P (Park) mode I quickly pulled over and tried starting it but to no avail, then after half an hour I tried starting again and it started in neutral but as soon as I put it in D mode the power just cut off again after jerking a bit. Took it to one of the bmw specialist in Ilford ley street and they advised after checking that there is some jerking noise coming from under the engine and there is a engine problem without even carrying out any diagnostics. he gave me 2 options I either scrap the car or replace the whole engine WTF!!!