what is wrong with 89 pontiac grand prix cutting off just driving down the road?

Asked by Jan 25, 2012 at 06:27 PM about the 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix

been sitting up couple of years, put new battery, alternater, hose or two and runs good except just cuts off with no warning.

115

fuel filter could be blocking off also by setting this long you need to check all wiring for cracks or mice marks on wiring

Thank You, Kenney. We did check the fuel filter yesterday, held it up to the light, cleaned it and it was in good shape. Vacuumed carpartment it sit in which was full of acorns. Will now check wiring for cracks and marks from mice and/or squirrels as you suggested. My brother who repairs cars, and restores them, checked it pretty good, thought it might be wiring, too. God Bless, Carolyn.

185

I don't know if you still have the vehicle, but I had a similar situation on a trip from Chicago to Miami. Engine would run at adle, but when the accelerator was depressed, the engine lost all power and stalled. It took 3 days in Chatahoochee, Florida to discover the fault was caused by a bad fuel injector, shorting out and sending signal to computer to shut down. I finally got to Miami but needed to replace another bad injector there.