2000 Pontiac Grand Prix randomly shuts down while driving.

Asked by Mar 10, 2015 at 04:25 AM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

Hello. I have a Pontiac Grand Prix and it will sometimes randomly completely shut
down while driving. When this happens, I have to pull over before the power steering
locks up because the car is off. Sometimes I can put the car in neutral and restart the
engine while it is in motion, but most of the time I have to pull over, and then it takes
anywhere from 1-5 minutes or so for the car to restart. It will act like it wants to start,
but not turn over.  Once it restarts, I don't have the problem again for a day or even
sometimes as long as a month it will run fine. Mind is boggled about what could be
happening here.

95,105

Crank sensor is the first thing that comes to mind, get the codes pulled there may also be an answer in the code storage of the ECM. There are other componets that could cause the same problem, but the crank sensor is the most common.

where is the crank sensor on this car, tennisshoes? and is it officially called the crankshaft position sensor?

95,105

Yes it is called a crank position sensor. What engine do you have?

I have the non turbocharged 3800

95,105

right behind the vibration dampener. You should see a slotted ring that runs around the dampener it's the little piece that those slots pass through.