car wont start without pressing gas pedal, dies during idle at stop lights

Asked by Sep 19, 2017 at 02:57 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet Impala

My car doesn't want to start unless I push on the gas pedal while turning the ignition over. It has also died twice while sitting at a stop light.

120

I'm surprised no one has said anything yet. This is a common problem but yet still could be a little Troublesome to find. The very first thing is once the engine is running do you have a check engine light on. Of course the computer has input from the sensors coming from the engine. First thing to do is to take it to be check for codes stored in the computer. Your local AutoZone are O'Reilly's should be able to help you with that . If codes show up then you can go from there if not I will try to help the best I can over this site. I will need a lot of input to help you with it though. A good place to start is to check your air filter and your fluid levels. If you don't think you can do some electrical and mechanical test then best thing to do is find a reputable repair shop close to you

There is no check engine light on. After some research online I have decided to change the fuel pump fuse and the fuel filter tonight, I will also try cleaning the Idle air control valve. I know that it is either fuel or air related since it starts if given gas.

120

I wasn't going to say what I thought it was until you checked for codes. No codes it could be that .I was going to say map sensor because it will have the same symptom if not working. There are still part failures that won't set a code but you can see them with a scanner. A experienced mechanic can see if the parts are working within there specified ranges. I hope that change will fix it for you.

My cars fuel filter is not serviceable, its in the fuel pump and that is in the gas tank. Last night I cleaned the idle air control valve and that didn't help. I have had a scanner hooked up at autozone and oreillys and no codes are showing up. I don't know what to do now

120

Just back. No access to fuel filter. No codes. I would check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail with the appropriate fuel pressure gauge. If that checks out then I would suggest you going to a local mechanic that's willing to help you because if it's a sensor that doesn't show a code or a faulty one but not generating a code or the wires leading to the sensor then I might take you some time to find this on your own. I hope this helps good luck

120

Do or get someone to check your cylinder pressures. You remove the spark plugs one by one and attach a gauge to check for pressure in each cylinder.

so apparently my car is actually a 2005, it was a half year car whatever that means. so the fuel filter is actually accessible. I will be putting a new one on tonight to see if that helps. I cleaned the mass air flow sensor last night and that didn't help.

I don't have a answer, I am having the same problem with my 2001 impala. I Need help. Dont wanna half to take it to the shop.