I have a nissan 300zx 88 white smoke and smells like gas

20

Asked by Apr 19, 2012 at 05:58 AM about the 1988 Nissan 300ZX

My dad gave me his 88 nissan 300zx but it smells like gas and it shots out a lot of white smoke I honestly don't
have a clue what it might be, any ideas ?

3,130

sounds like youre in for some head work. probably valve seals being worn due to age/mileage. being an 88, tear it down and rebuild it if its worth it to you.

315

white smoke is a sign of burning water, or coolant. the mid 80's z's had a fuel injector recall for leaking fuel and causing fires. take it to the dealer and have them run your vin to see if yours is affected. the smoke may be a blown head gasket. does it run decent with these problems, or does it skip and sputter.

20

Ok so the engine is in 88 but the body is in 86,when it was in it original body the car ran great no smoke or nothing but after the engine got taken out and put in to the 86 body it started to smell like fuel and white smoke started coming out its a 6 cylinder no turbo so any ideas

315

86 engine management is different than 88, my guess would be something to do with that. sounds like its running rich.

15

check the wiring to your maf sensor

A two year different transplant,should be close enough, the computer is located in the passenger kick panel and is securedw two ten mm bolts w the car running look through a small window u will see a green and red led bulb count the flashes the trouble code is broken down on the exterior of the ecm note when all codes have been played there is a long pause and they start over,be patient and count a or you will end up w one million for your code.

Leaking injectors will not show as a code. Jfyi

Replace fuel pressure regulator, fuel is leaking from inside to vacuum hose being dumped.into intake plenum

These cars also notorious for connection corrosion tps,maf,coolant temp sw