why has my instrument panel gone dark?

Asked by Jun 29, 2010 at 04:22 PM about the 1984 Nissan 300ZX

I have a 1984 50th Anniversary 300zx. The panel has suddenly gone dark, and I am unabe to locate the power source, either visually or in the Haynes Manual.
The electrical drawings are waaay beyond me. The car has LED didgital readouts. All I can say is that the fuses all appear to be healthy.

65

its your digital dash power supply. its located under the dash on the driver side. its butted up against the side of the radio. Its a silver box about 4x4x1 (..ish?) and has 2 black multi-pin connectors going into it. 95% of the time this is the problem. The fault lies in the factory solder points. If ur crafty with a soldiering iron, open up the box and where those 2 black multi pin connectors attached, resolder those points from the backside of the circuit board. You can also try wiggling those wire harnesses while everything is plugged in watch to see if u gauges flicker. Good Luck

Many Thanks Brent. Inexplicably, the power has restored. I'll be ready the next time, thanks to you.

Hello, Zeddie, my name is Tracey, from Australia and I really hope you don't mind my writing to you. I also am the fortunate owner of a 50th anni zx and have been having the exact same problem with electronics as your good self. I stumbled upon your question while looking for a ZX mechanic and was prompted to write and say, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou. You, and Brett, have saved me the headache you would've gone through. When its day light here tomorrow, I'm going out to fix my car!!!! Providing that is my problem, 2. Also, it may be forward of me to ask, but is the car worth the expense? Prices are different here to there, I know, but I've been wondering to keep or sell the car as it seems to keep costing money? And, being ignorant on these matters, please, do you know, how much is a 50th Anniversary ZX worth? I know there were only 200 bought to Australia, but I don't know their value. Thanx. Well, your car looks exactly the same as mine,( aren't they beautiful,) but yours is MUCH cleaner, I'm excited to see another one ( i havnt yet), but I've taken up enough of your time. I hope to hear from you soon, best of luck with you zed, cheers. All the best, Tracey

Hello Tracey. I have not crawled under my dash yet to see if Brett was right. About to do so as I have a road trip coming up where I really want to know my speed. My car IS quite clean, and appraised for insurance purposes at $8400CDN. As with any collector, it is worth whatever it is worth to the buyer, and I have seen them on auctions going for over $10,000US. Sorry you have had expenses. Yes, all authentic 50th's ARE exactly the same. Good Luck!

G'day, Zeddie, Thankyou for your reply, it was most helpful. When the weather warms up down here, I plan on pulling my dash apart. When the electrics are all running properly, I plan on selling it. I'm not sure what your affairs are like in America mate, but it's pretty scary here politically right now, and I think gold is a better option at the moment. Thanx Zeddie, Cheers

95

Hi my name is chris, I have a AE with the same problem. I took out my power supply but I have noticed that the green board is melted in some place's. I am in need of a new power supply does anyone know where I can get one? Also the guy who own it before me really messed up the wiring harness to the radio. It causes the parking lights not to turn on. If anyone can help me out it would be great.

Hello Wambat. Did you ever get some success with your car? I have purchased a power supply and an instrument panel but one look at the complications of pulling the steering wheel with all of those electrical connections scared me. Soooo, I bought a GPS to act as a speedometer in the interim. Now WE are approaching our warmer weather, so I have to act. Just hope that the new instrument panel does not have the same problems as poor Schmit. Zeddie

Gorgeous car!