How to find the power to the didgital instrument panel.

Asked by Jun 29, 2010 at 04:28 PM about the 1984 Nissan 300ZX

The LED didgital panel has gone dark and I can't find reference to fuses, etc. in the Haynes manual. The fuse box itself seems healthy.

205

It's the 'digital dash power supply unit'. Take the gauge cluster out. You'll unplug the wiring harness from the top rear of the cluster. Then you'll find 2 more set's of wire's coming from the cluster that plug into a small silver box to the right of the steering column underneath where the cluster was sitting. That little silver box is what need's replaced/fixed. Usually the cause of this is soldiering joints made inside of this box break and lose contact. You can find a repair kit on Ebay if you feel comfortable enough doing the repairs yourself. Get on to z31performance.com or z31.com and you can find how-to guides or possibly places to exchange the box.

95

The power supply unit is located above your right knee. Just pull the cover off and you will see it. It has two bolts holding it in place. Once you remove the bolts there is two wiring harnesses plugged in, remove those. Take the cover off and inspect the soldiering joints. This is what I did in my AE. Hope this is helpful.

5

Hi , some guys say to remove the power unit, first remove the display. Others say can remove from underneath by removing the 3 screw plastic cover. Which is it? thanks. Cliff.