This is on a 1989 244 Volvo..Um what would cause both the ignition to fail and the fuel pump at or around the same time?

Asked by Sep 10, 2012 at 11:29 PM about the 1989 Volvo 240

This is for a friend. He asked me. And I have not got a clue here. It may be two separate problems but I do not know anything on Volvos. Do you happen to have any wisdom that may help?

1,145

The car is over 20 years old. Parts fail, many times at the same time. Probably just bad luck.

Ok, for the first time that the part failed. I should have been more clear. This car has taken to eating/killing the afore-mentioned parts, generating this pair of problems. So, the question would be why? And more over is there something that can be done more than just chuck another one in there? Would this be in the computer? Thanks.

1,195

Often electronic parts fail due to bad grounds. It is the culprit more than people think. An intermittent ground, or a weak ground causes weird operating voltages, or voltage to travel where it shouldn't. I would absolutely double check the ground connections on the fuel pump with an ohmmeter, and make sure there is zero ohms to ground. I might also measure the voltage to the fuel pump, ensure it isn't too high. Usually a fuel pump will tolerate as much as 15 volts, so this is not often the problem. As for the "ignition", what failed? Coils? ECUs? again, check grounds and voltages. ECU's often don't like more than 13.7 v, above that you are getting pretty hot...

70

You're asking at the wrong place. Try 'Brickboard. com' , one of many Volvo forums. The answer is not simple and will require that you test various parts.