Window/roof leak

Asked by Mar 29, 2010 at 05:04 PM about the 1988 Volkswagen Cabriolet

Has any one found a solution for the small leak in the corner of the roof and window? I have heard it is very ccommon for this model. It can be annoying and I would love to not have to leave a plactic bag and papertowels on my seat when I leave my car.

30

I have a 92 and the same problem. My floor mats end up underwater. Im getting ready to rip out the carpet, drill holes and spray Rhino Liners. I love the car, hate the leaks!

30

I have an 87 with the same problem. I removed the front edge of the roof seal and put a layer (about 3/32 of an inch) of ice dam seal (roofing) and then put a thin layer of weather seal over that and then adjusted the roof latches for the 20th time. Also make sure that the window is making good contact with the seal. The widow can be adjusted slightly (Bently Repair manual). I am hoping that I managed to get it sealed.

20

yes fix mine on 1988

50

hey smartchefs pop your hood and check the reservoir under your windshield there is a drain that should be open if theres water in there clear it because theres also an opening in the fire wall there ....well just a suggestion good luck!

105

i have an 88 and when i bought it the guy never said anything about the roof leaking. i have had about 10 jetta-golfs but no rag. anyway when i figured out where it was coming from, i just cut a old bicycle tube and used some silicone. cut it to fit the space between the window and where the roof meet. presto no more leak. cut it nice and dont be sloppy with the goop and your golden. only one person has said anything about it. thats because we go through each others cars looking for faults. i know its a strange friendship.

155

Hi, did you fix that corner leak? I remember when mine first started, drip-drip. Eventually I took it to a top-shop and they put a seal all the way around inside the top and it is still dry.

put a set of vent shades on it.that will stop your problem.

60

I need help with this same problem only its the passenger rear floor board. It floods and I can't figure out where the actual leak is. I am using kitty litter over night to dry it up. Tired of the puddle. We sprayed all around the windows and the post but can't find the leak. The inside roof isn't wet. My cabrio is a 96 mechanical/manual convertable soft top..please help

20

tikijo, jeff answered your question a few answers back. Underneath the hood near the top are two rubber drains on either side of the fan. Just clean them out and make sure they actively drain water and your floor will stop getting wet. I just did this and it worked splendidly. that is a separate problem from the convert-top/window leak though.

20

We have a 2001 model and ours leaks from the back where the hood meets the body. The rubbers have shrunk and left a small gap. The question is can it be fixed?