my top won't go all the way to the top to lock it, it falls jjust short of it, what could be the problem

Asked by Aug 17, 2013 at 03:32 PM about the 1987 Volkswagen Cabriolet

I used to be able to bring the top up all the way and down all the way , something is either out of whack or broken. I did notice a couple of rods that were doing nothing but look like they should be attached to somewhere.

46,735

My daughter just went through this with her '92 cabriolet. Hers is a manual top. She could only get hers to the halfway point. There are two little struts on the inside of your scissors that collapse your top. If they go bad, you will not be able to close your top. I had the shop remove the struts just so I could get the top to close. You can pick up new ones at Rock auto. They are on the web. Or ebay. They will run you $40 per strut. Check out #3 on this link. That should be your culprit....http://www.mtmfg.com/vw/171/Volkswagen-Rabbit-Cabriolet-Convertible-Top-Parts