I have a 1992 Cabriolet. The right side of the dash doesn't work any longer. No signal indicator, gas gage, spedo, etc. It used to work and it seemed when the engine warmed up, all gages go dead.

Asked by Apr 01, 2014 at 04:54 PM about the 1992 Volkswagen Cabriolet Carat

I have to rev the engine to a certain RPM to get the volt meter to read past the center point or Bob (my cars name) will die after awhile.  I'm assuming it's the alternator.  Please help. I'm not sure if he's a Base model or a Carat.
Thanks

4,515

Actually, given the localized nature of the power loss, you might want to look closely at the grounding terminals under the dash that all the brown wires attach to. It's possible that corrosion has rendered the terminal near the area of failure inoperative. With luck, you may be able to detach the brown wires and recondition the terminal with a wire brush.