For some reason my 1987 Cabriolet won't directly start on a hill?

Asked by Jun 22, 2013 at 05:36 PM about the 1987 Volkswagen Cabriolet

When it's parked on a hill or even a small tilt, you have to hit the gas in order for it not
to turn off after turning on the key in the ignition. It seems to start okay otherwise,
though. Is this something I should worry about, or is it just a normal thing? If serious,
will problems severely increase if untreated? How much will repairs cost? Thanks for
any help!!

Is this happening with a full tank or one that is almost empty? I have heard this question before. I believe someone had said you need at least 3 gallons of gas in it or it will not start on a hill. If your tank is full, you may have a bad fuel pump. I know on the '92 Cabriolets, they have dual fuel pumps. If yours has two also, one may be going bad.