Why engine races when I srtart up?

Asked by Jul 17, 2011 at 05:57 AM about the 1985 Volkswagen Cabriolet

When I start the car up the engine races. After the car has been sitting for years I soaked the fuel lines and distributor in Sea Foam, changed fuel pump relay and fuel injection power supply relay. The book says it could be the ECU.

I have an 85 Cabrio and the idle speed fluctuates between 1100 rpm and 2000 rpm on start-up. My mechanic still has to look at it but indicated to me he thinks it might be some sort of vacuum leak in the system or may be related to the oxygen sensor. Have your mechanic take a look at those areas.

245

Rothare is correct, it may also be a cold start injector or idle air control valve.....it may just be old enough to just need a good warm up!