1973 Super Beetle has fresh battery but won't turnover

Asked by Feb 27, 2015 at 05:21 AM about the 1973 Volkswagen Beetle

I just took delivery of a 1973 Super Beetle that started and ran fine a week ago in
Washinton. When it arrived in Ct., it barely turns over and wouldn't start despite jumper
cables and a portable charger. A couple of hours later, I even bought and installed a new
battery. It cranks over one or two times but won't start and seems like it's not getting
enough juice to do so. I checked connections, tail lights come on. Just won't start.
Thanks in advance tor your help.

94,755

Check the voltage supply on the battery cables to the starter and for clean connections, that does sound like you have some voltage loss, the ground seems to be the biggest culprit on these little guys, recheck all the grounding straps especially those from body to engine, but also don't forget the positive cable, it is fairly long so if corrosion got inside it you will have to replace it