I've been MIA for several weeks

120

Asked by Jun 27, 2013 at 04:43 PM about the 1972 Volkswagen Beetle

VW guys: I ended up in the emergency room mid May. Heart trouble. With all the meds I've been taking my VW was the last thing on my mind. I had lunch this past Monday with two local vintage VW guys. That helped re-kindle my enthusiasm. Some of you may remember one of the things that did not work when I got this car was my gas gauge. We pulled the sending unit and checked it with a multi-meter. It was good. Hoping for a simple answer, I pulled all the fuses Monday and checked them. They all seemed fine. One had gray, oxidized contacts, so I used 300 grit Emory paper on it to brighten it up. As the fuses were all good, I gave up & walked off. Today, I moved the car for the first time since I got ill. The Gas Gauge now works! I am very pleased about that! Check those fuses and make sure the contact are bright, shiny metal.

Hey dude, hope your heart gets well and great news. On the VW that is.

And there is a post right near yours, somebody asking about '72 Bugs, Maybe you can help?