Where is the oil drain plug on my 1970 bug and how many quarts does it take? Would using synthetic oil in one this old make any sense?

Asked by Feb 19, 2012 at 06:58 PM about the 1970 Volkswagen Beetle

How many quarts of oil does a 1970 bug hold.  Where is the drain plug  and would using synthetic oil make any sense?

the drain plug is in the middle of the car at the rear on the ribbed underside of the engine case.there is one center plug and 6 smaller nuts in a circle. these nuts allow you to clean the strainer .The capacity of oil is 5.3 pints(2.5 litres)I do not know the benefit of syntetic on this type of engine.I am only the owner of a'71 bug for a few months my engine is being rebuilt.One of the other bug owners might be able to tell us about the synthetic oil in an aircooled motor.I am curious. 9(

Personally I would not use a synthetic oil in this engine as these engines were designed when synthetic oils were not even around. Use a 'decent' 20w50 mineral oil and she will be happy as cheese. Besides these engines are known to 'use' oil aswell as leak a little.

You may not have a center drain plug. You should always remove the entire plate and replace the gasket after inspecting the strainer screen for metal and debris. Synthetic oil is fine, but the first time you put it in the engine, you should run the engine up to normal temperature and then drain out the mixture and refill with synthetic. The engine holds a lot of oil in the cooler and pump that will not drain out.