I am possibly getting a 1970 VW Bug as my first car. I am 15 years old and my dad and I wanted to fix one up. The only thing keeping him from doing so was the fact that the safety is very poor. Is th

Asked by Nov 18, 2011 at 12:00 AM about the 1970 Volkswagen Beetle

35

its an old car, and i dont think theres any safety features at all

195

Hi, The story is repeated again.Let me tell you that to buy a bug for your first car will be the most wonderfull thing that's going to heppe to you and your dad. By the way any car you can buy is to have accidents.Bugs are the best expirience a man of 15 can have as his first car.This was my case since then, between all my cars I ever have a vw [Bug].Good luck !!!!Pedro

1,295

bugs are perfectly safe, untill you get into an accident... they are great little cars although, easy to work on, can be surprisingly quick if you wanted, easy on gas, they stand out in a crowd. just dont expect many high end comforts in a 40 year old car

675

I just finished a "72" Bug for my niece's 16th birthday. You would have thought I built her a "Rolls"; she is so proud of it. Several folks have responded with their thoughts on a bug for your first car and They are hit the nail right on the head. You will always remember that little bug as you grow older and move on with your life. Some of your bug memories will be not so good, but as with most us us who has owned one or more, you will look back with a degree of fondness for the little car. I hope your dad allows you to have those memories. Good luck! Ron

725

This vw Beetle was hit headon by a drunk woman this weekend here in San Diego. The driver of the Beetle was coming home from work at 1am on the freeway. The drunk woman was driving the wrong way on the freeway. Beetle driver was killed instantly.