how to remove an alternator

Asked by Dec 26, 2006 at 04:02 PM about the 1970 Volkswagen Beetle

I have a 1914cc engine in my 1970 vw bettle.  I need to replace the alternator but I can't seem to figure out how to get it out.  What's the easiest way to remove the alternator?

22,580

Ricky, one guy I spoke too said to do yourself a favor and lift the entire engine out, it's easier. That vintage VW is going to need a lot of TLC and you should have a handy manual sidekick with you at all times. Here's the best, order a copy today... http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code=v179 Good luck!

1st choice = Hire someone who knows what they are doing. 2nd choice = Go get your self a book which has step by set directions. The hayes manual covers this pretty good. Need to figer out if you have a gen or alt because they is a difference and you can check the gen and you my only need a regulator.

25

Hey Ricky there are too many steps involved in removing the alternator. Yes, buy a manual and try step by step. If you need help tell us what you are stuck on.